How are you finding ways to beat this heat? I have all my windows open and homemade ginger lemonade in the fridge to keep me going. I know in this heat our body just wants to lay around and be lazy. However, there are so many places to enjoy here in downtown Los Angeles especially now that summer is here and kiddies are out of school. It reminds of Alice Cooper’s song “Schools Out.” Though I haven’t been in school for ages it just seems fitting seeing more kids around town.
Here are a few ideas to get you out and about.
1. Go splash around in the big fountain at Grand Park. Be a kid again, roll up your pants and splash around side by side the chillin’s that are already there. They know what’s up. Follow their lead! There is nothing more fun then splashing in a giant fountain in the middle of a city. Remember Silvia from La Dolce Vita? Great movie.
Silvia in the fountain
Grand Park Fountain of Fun
2. Find a friend with a roof top pool! Take advantage of your friends and neighbors. There are so many buildings with pools and most residents don’t make use of them. So start asking everyone you know if they have a pool and if they don’t mind lending it to you.
Here are few I know that have pools. Do you have friends that reside in them?
Eastern Columbia on Broadway.
SB Properties along Spring St. and 6th Street
Pegasus Apartments on Flower
3. Museums! I am always looking for excuses to head to a museum. Though I probably don’t need any excuses since I absolutely love museums. But museums have air conditioning and in this crazy heat you may want to escape the sun’s rays for a few hours. There is no better way than with culture indoors. In downtown, we are lucky to have a few in walking distance. For example: Museum of Contemporary Art, The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, Japanese American National Museum, California Science Center, Natural History Museum, California African American Museum, and come next year, the Broad.
4. Go find a restaurant you haven’t tried yet and order only desserts! Or better yet, go straight for dessert and skip the lunch altogether! You could always grab a veggie juice later so you still get some nutrients and then head on over to dessert land. Peddler’s Creamery opened on Main st. Made with organic, fair trade, local & exotic ingredients. They have ice cream, sorbet and even vegan desserts. YUMMM! Plus, 5% of their profits goes to social and environmental causes. Win win!
5. Head to the beach (much like everyone else) via the METRO 720.~ Everybody seems to have the same idea when the weather obliges. Getting caught in beach traffic is never fun, so get out earlier. Pack a lunch and picnic out under the sun. Of course, you will have your sunscreen and sun hats, right? Sun burns are never fun to deal with. So lather up! Nobody likes lobster skin.
6. Go see a movie, but that’s a given right? I put this last since I’d rather do the prior 3 on my days off.
Enjoy and stay hydrated.